And cancer strikes again! “Once in
a Lifetime” is a story told by a girl named Hema, who is speaking in the 2nd
person to a young man, Kaushik and recounting a time period in which their
families shared a single home for a time. The story explores the narrator’s
relationship with her parents and in turn the family’s overall relationship with
Kaushik and his parents after they move back in town after a time in Bombay.
I didn’t really know how to read
this story because there is a general lack of structure other than the chronological
order of events that the narrator experiences and explains. I’ve also only read
a couple of stories written in this fashion and as a result, it makes for quite
a slow read. The constant usage of you and your in the story grabs the reader and
demands full attention, assimilating and incorporating the audience through an
intimate connection.
Although it is full of real and
emotional tension, there is little to no true conflict. Throughout the entire
thing I was expecting a Notebook type of resolution in which the main
characters are married and this is a story that she reads to him to help him
remember their past together. And I was pulling for Hema’s character up until
page 499 when she announced her dislike of Doctor Who and revealed little to no
interest in Isaac Asimov books. After that point, I couldn’t really remain
interested in the story, I was expecting a decisive climax but all we get is a
short scene in the woods where Kaushik reveals that his mother has cancer. This
ending, to me, left me satisfied because we can imagine what happens in the
following years, but the adoration the narrator feels towards the boy is never
resolved and the
Are you a Dr Who fan? She does seem a bit shallow with her lack of interest in Asimov, but I think she's supposed to . . . she's a bit too interested in fitting in with her American friends.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm a very big fan of Doctor Who. A few friends got me hooked in the beginning of last summer. What stood out to me was that she is addressing Kaushik the entire time but when it comes to interacting with him, I was expecting she'd jump at the chance to join in and ask about his interests, but it never happened.
Delete