“The Bleep and Blips of Life” is
about Anne, a girl sitting with her comatose father in the hospital. As Anne
struggles to accept that her father is in such a condition, her younger sister,
Karen, comes to the hospital and the dynamics of their early family life is
exposed. We learn that Anne’s parents played favorites when they were younger
(at least the mother did) and as a result of much fighting and cheating, her
parents got a divorce. While her father lies in the hospital, Anne and her
sister try to decide the correct course of action to take.
I love how much tension the story
holds, the family ties are complex and real which gives the conflict between
the sisters a firm grip on the reader, but other than some verbal
disagreements, I didn’t get an overwhelming sense that the narrator needed to
change her opinion. You could also add in the monetary reasons for pulling the
plug or adding a phone call from the mother might shake up the narrator into
taking action.
I feel like the title lacks a sense
of raw emotion that I felt while reading this story because it really did move
me. Almost all of us have been put in that uncomfortable situation and with a
family like theirs, as readers are more invested in Anne’s connection to her
sister and father. My favorite aspect was the use of flashbacks throughout the
story. Although I do feel a few more small details about why their mother
preferred Karen and why she disliked her first born daughter so much could boost
the reader’s attachment to Anne. At this time I feel like we don’t know enough
about our narrator.
Kevin, the title of the post after this one is for Christina's story. but the body is the response for Matt's story from Tues. Did you have a response for Christina's Password Protected?
ReplyDeleteIt shouldn't be. I just checked and the response I wrote for Christina is showing up on under the correct title.
ReplyDelete