This story is about Isaac,
a solider in the US Army that is separated from his wife by war and is
stationed near some desert at some point in time. Although we don’t know what
year it is, I’m assuming it’s relatively recent (although the cannon part threw me off lol). We learn that he holds the rank of Major and is constantly being
summoned due to his latest assignment. Towards the end, Isaac refuses an order
from a superior officer to destroy a target location because of civilian
casualties, a school full of children in particular. As a result, he is court marshaled
and sent home for presumably for future punishment, though he is solely focused
on seeing his wife again.
I really like the level
of detail you provide and that the perspective is of the soldier shown during
combat. There is definitely a story here, but I think it’s just
drawn out a little too long in the beginning. We don’t get any real action sequences
until about 7 pages in and I couldn’t tell if page 1 was a flashback
or not because of the start of page 2. I don’t know if that is just my
misinterpretation or if it confused anyone else as well, but a clearer
transition could be helpful.
The narrative voice is consistent and solid, but was a bit
confusing at times because the narrator also uses military terminology. I think that is best left within the dialogue, which is the strongest aspect of this piece. With all that military jargon, we get a narrowing window of readers who will understand all of the elements you describe.
Also I feel like you
could have taken the larger conflict on a different path. Maybe Isaac has never
killed civilians before and this is the first time he commits the deed. Then
his morals are challenged and we see a different side of the Major. In this
version, we don’t get the sense that he is a bad guy and when he sticks up for
what is right, it didn’t go against his character so the conflict and change
feel pretty weak. Another suggestion could be that we find out more of his
relationship with his wife and how the distance affects them. We start the story with her then nothing for
like 9 pages then all of a sudden she’s the main focus again for Isaac at the
very end. And if you go with the earlier suggestion, it gives you another angle
to see how he would judge himself by what his wife will think of him when he
returns home.
No comments:
Post a Comment