“Password Protected” is a narration from the point of view
from a young woman named Julia who is checking up on facebook at a public
library and reacting to a number of different situations and statuses put up by
others, and at the same time we learn that she has been dealing with her
brother’s cancer. She silently judges each one while evaluating the lives of
other people, effectively hiding her own life in the process.
I liked how the story is full of tension but overall, I felt
it to be lacking true conflict. Everything the narrator focuses on is online
and doesn’t affect her directly until after we learn that Thomas has died. I’d
like to see more of a change in Julia. She starts out as a loving sister and
ends the story as a loving sister. One way to facilitate a change would be to
have her resent her brother for getting cancer because it put a strain on her
family and is the reason for her moving away from her friends and school.
And I really like the ending of the story. The idea of
immortalizing someone through the internet is a very modern way of honoring
their memory, but Julia’s relationship with her brother is the main focus of the
story and there is only one scene in which we see the two characters interact. Adding
an extra scene or incorporating more details about their past together would
give the story more emotion while at the same time bringing the ending around
full circle.
No comments:
Post a Comment